Monday, June 15, 2009

Mama's Musings

Wow- how time flies! So sitting at the computer this spring has been a challenge due to little boys, chickens galore, and weeds- yes, the bain of my existence right now! As I look out the window I can see green - the trees, the grass, and the garden. We are still adding some plants here and there to the mix but overall have gotten the base of the garden started. We have had rain in spurts which brings many smile from us. It seems like the plants are starting to get the hint and grow...nothing better than watching a tomato plant reach for the sun-I can already taste the basil/tomato sandwiches!

We have a mix of about 300 chicks currently wandering our pasture- some were raised for friends, some are the soon to be chickens in the freezer, and then those left are the long awaited laying hens...Black Ostrolops. It has been amazing watching them scurry around the field eating all bugs in sight and many blades of grass...just seems right. Huxley has been enjoying his new duties of the chicken feeder.

I am still milking our goat, Lumpy. We have become her biggest fans with the creation of new cheeses this year as well as many batches of goat milk ice cream. I have the milking fever and am hoping that more milk goats are in our farm's future.

We have also been setting up a booth at the Bella Vista Farmer's Market on Saturdays. Shitake mushrooms are the most requested item so far but the goat milk and chicken are not far behind.

Spent the evening putting tomato cages in the garden and watching the chicks with Roland...always get a giggle from him when he sees them scurry around. I reread "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver this spring and was reminded once again what an amazing lifestyle this is...when Huxley, Roland, and I went gooseberry picking earlier this week to put in the freezer for Thanksgiving pies I realized how thankful I am to be able to teach my children what it means to truly savor food from the plant to the plate...I hear a cicada..Happy Summer All!

No comments: