Tuesday, April 8, 2008

mama's musings

As I write this the beets, broccoli, cabbage, parsnips, turnips, greens, onions, brussel sprouts, peas, and kale are basking in our garden...recently, watered by Mother Nature. Yes, we finally had a day nice enough to begin planting. I would have to say the best part about gardening so far this year is that Huxley has been helping us. He and I spent most of the day shoveling compost into a sifter and taking the amazingly rich soil to the rows so that Caleb could place each seed or plant in its goodness . Each worm that we came across Huxley would pick up and place back into the compost pile..."their home", as he called it.
I began daydreaming about transplanting the shoots from the raspberry bushes that we planted last year...already envisioning a row full of bushes hanging with those tart berries. A project for the weekend ahead. We are also in full preparation for the chicks as they will be here next week...200 little ones to feed, water, keep warm, and enjoy. I think Huxley is going to find this next adventure quite exciting-he already loves feeding our laying hens.
Milking has been going fairly well-except for tonight. The goats decided that with their bellies full of new spring grasses and the weather exceptional- why come down to the barn for dinner. Huxley and I called and tried bribing with grain to no avail so no milking tomorrow-one day shouldn't hurt and I must admit a morning off sounds sort of inviting. I have had many people interested in milk...so many in fact, that I haven't even been making cheese- the milk doesn't stay around the farm long enough. I am happy to report that many are finding health benefits from drinking the milk-easier to digest. That makes it all worthwhile to me and reminds me why we are putting the effort into all of this- not only for our own health benefits but also for that of our community.

No comments: