Friday, March 14, 2008

The First Batch of Cheese...

I must start off by saying one word- Yum! Yes, we have almost completely finished the first batch of cheese- all I am going to say is whole wheat bread(made from scratch), homegrown sprouts, and creamy goat cheese...
It was an adventure making my first batch of the season. First off, finding things like organic buttermilk and ice created a bit of running around that I am not used to. The actual milk preparation for the cheese went great. I woke up the next morning though to find a bowl of milk that hadn't separated into curds and whey for some reason. After a few choice words I hit the books and learned that it was either the rennet or the weather. I took my chances and added more rennet, in time, I was rewarded for my patience.
Batch #2 will be in the making this weekend.

As a side the milk goats are doing great! They have taken to the milking routine and are usually waiting to get up on the stanchion in the morning. A twist in events, Suzie has become the star milker-she is giving a good amount of milk and is very patient. Lumpy, on the other hand, has gotten a bit stubborn about standing still and a bit greedy about the amount of food she wants to eat while being milked- I know, I suppose she is spoiled...oh, well!

1 comment:

Amy said...

HI Alisen, this is Amy Riley. Love your blog and your beautiful farm! Thanks for all the interesting info about it. Can't wait to read more!!!!